Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Spending Hiatus -- Week Seven

millie chillin with her best friend stella on her new bed...

It's week seven friends. Seven. Which clearly means we are in the final stretch, the last days, the end of the road...

Not that I'm excited or anything.

Actually truth be told, I'm nervous. I feel a little squirrely lately, and I know the hiatus has tempered me, kept me in check. So without something formal in place, I'm nervous about my ability to mindfully consume.

With that in mind, I spent a little time last week (no, I didn't cheat, but almost) looking back at past Spending Hiatus posts to strengthen my resolve and landed squarely on French Vogue editor Carine Roitfeld’s mantra:


“The less you have, the more you enjoy.”


Well said Madame Roitfeld...and you know what, I believe it. Despite my (strong) desire to shop of late, I fully and unequivocally agree that the less you own, the more you enjoy. I do.

Ok, now onto the almost cheat (and a proud moment if I do say so myself.) My sweet friend Whitney bequeathed her son's old toddler bed to Millie a couple of weeks ago, and I fully intended to outfit it with new bedding, because of course it was an essential purchase, no? And it would certainly fulfill my jones to shop.

But then I thought of you, and the hiatus, and I started digging in cabinets, closets, etc... where I unearthed a perfectly groovy old quilt and the two Dwellstudio for Target pillows that my lovely reader Carolyn traded me for something in the SL shop (and I had always intended to use in Millie's room but completely forgot about.)

Bed outfitted.

But wait there's more. While I was sleuthing around, I also found an old crocheted pouf in the back of the closet that I tucked next to the bed, and I moved a sweet little painting of a bunny to grace the head of her bed. There's nothing like using what you have (and already love) in new ways. It's almost as good as shopping...maybe (maybe) even better.

So, how are you guys doing in this final stretch?