Monday, January 12, 2009

Strength in Numbers


these photos by the brilliant James Merrell fortify me in my quest for voluntary simplicity. Less is so, so much more, no?

It seems like many of you want to join in on some sort of spending hiatus, so I thought I’d make the idea of a “support group” a little more formal (but not overly complicated).

I think it would be great if we all committed to doing a weekly post tracking our progress -- what went well, what was especially hard not to purchase, etc...I’m planning to do my spending hiatus post every Monday (as weekends are definitely the biggest shopping temptation for me.)
If you’d definitely like to join in, just leave a comment on this post letting me know, and I’ll include a list of everyone participating on next Monday's post, so we'll know what blogs to visit for a little commiseration.

Sound good?

I’ve gotten a lot of comments about wanting to do it for a month instead of three, or only for "new" purchases instead of used or thrifted buys, and ultimately I think how you choose to structure your spending hiatus is really up to you.
My plan is no “non-essential”* purchases for three full months (January 10 -April 10.)

* In case you’re wondering, essential includes food, toiletries (i.e. soap, toothpaste), gas, etc… We’ll also still spend money going to museums, movies, the zoo, etc… And I’ve allowed a small budget for craft supplies, but we’ve limited eating out to once a week, as this is another source of mindless spending.

Here we go!