Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Simplicity + Quality

anita calero's home from domino via 2 or 3 things...i think frank lloyd wright would have approved of her aesthetic, no?

A couple of you have asked…we read Loving Frank for our latest book club. It was historical fiction about Frank Lloyd Wright, and I have to say it was a doozy, but it made for great conversation.

One of my favorite passages from the book:

“Mamah stepped down into the make-do studio to cool off. Frank had furnished it sparsely with objects that pleased him – a wool scarf laid over a table, topped by a fat glazed pot full of tree branches, architectural drawings pinned to the floral wallpaper, a small shelf lined with simple Italian vases.”

While Wright was selfish and somewhat difficult, he was indisputably a genius. No matter how snobbish it seems, I was especially intrigued with his unwavering commitment to surrounding himself beauty and quality… He would opt to possess a single perfectly-made suit over owning five shoddily made ones.

I love that philosophy. And while I can’t always afford to live it, I do apply it to my absolute, 100% favorite thing – I buy a lovely, well-made leather handbag once a year. I’d rather save for that purchase for months than have a closet full of poorly made bags that I’ll likely toss one day.

Jordan posed this question recently, and it’s a good one. What do you “splurge” on?