Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Spending Hiatus + Support Group -- Week One

The last three things I purchased before I stopped purchasing things…

A "tunicy" top...



"THE" boots...


The meyer lemon...

Well I made it through 10 full days without purchasing anything, and I have to admit it feels pretty. darn. great.

Admittedly there were a couple of temptations -- most noteworthy, a super cute (+ super cheap) bathing suit that I was so, so close to buying. (I was 90% through the online check-out and then came to my senses and closed the browser.) Why?? Well, it wasn't because I have amazing will-power… No, it was because of you. I couldn’t very well kick off the great spending hiatus and then be the one to cave after only a few days. So I guess this whole support group thing is working already, no?

Another key to getting through the first “week” was lining up lots of activities to replace shopping. A couple of days into the hiatus, I (sadly) realized that shopping has become a go-to pastime for me. Many Sunday afternoons, Audrey and I head over to Northpark to check out the art and grab a coffee (me) and a giant pink cookie (her, but sometimes me too…) And enivitably, I end up picking up a top or a knick knack from Anthro…(that is when I’m not trying to offload Audrey on some unsuspecting pop star.)

So here are a few of the things I did instead of shopping this week:

  • Went to a yoga class
  • Made dark chocolate s’mores in front of our fireplace
  • Cleaned out my closet
  • Got sick – this one was by far my biggest shopping deterrent, as it's hard to shop when you can't even get out of bed.

As promised, here's a list of everyone joining in on the spending hiatus. Now it’s your turn…how are you doing? What was hard? What did you do to get through it? I’ve been poking around and already seen tons of good posts out there!

p.s. – if I missed you on the list below, shoot me a note, and I’ll add you super quick… And on the flip side if you’ve decided you want out, let me know and I’ll take you off the list. (We won’t taunt you… I promise!)


Janssen
Sarah
Miss Aimee
Amy
Rachel
Simone
Cassandra
Jackie
Michelle (I think ;-)
Jenny
Amy T. Sharp
TX Girl
Stephanie
Annady
Johanna
Kristina
Skye
Loop and Lil
Paula
Amanda
Lynne
Jenn
Dora
Cassie
Jackie
Karen
Amanda
Alicia
Kasey
Rita
Aran
Abigail
Nicola
Patricia
Red Frame
Erinn
Cass
Amy
Susan
Jen
October 12
Terri
Beshka
A Girl

Color Me Green
Apartment 20H
Lauren
Sarah H
Sara
Mia
Sarah
Melanie
Mrs. Guilbeau