Monday, December 21, 2009

Michael D'Souza's London Loft Renovation

I'm not sure if anybody caught this incredible spread in the NY Times, but I'm absolutely blown away! Michael D'Souza, the owner of Mufti, an interiors store in London, bought this old Dutch textile house and fixer-upper in London and completely transformed it into one of the most beautiful homes I've laid eyes on in a while. Take a look and see what I mean.




In almost every part of this house, the beams were exposed (originally they were not), which makes the house seem lighter and much more interesting. Suitcases that were purchased at flea markets are up in the triangular nook. I really need to get some old suitcases...


This is a custom built tub/shower with travertine marble all around and custom designed geometric shampoo and soap areas.




Apparently there was only a ladder connecting the two floors so D'Souza had to add a staircase! He bought that telescope at a thrift store for only $75! What a find.



As if he needed to add more visual interest to this room, he put a saddle up on the beams! I adore this little reading areal; it looks perfect.



A lampshade made from porcupine quills? I'll take two of them! (only $325 from Africa)




This room is littered with antiques including a Mexican chest off to the left. Again, the beams are now exposed and I think that was the best decision he has ever made.




Isn't this kitchen glorious? It looks enormous...what is off to the right?? The table was custom built with wine storage and I believe Michael D'Souza installed the oven himself when he got fed up with the construction workers! HA.





There is that lampshade again, except on a floor lamp.



This is my favorite part. The bedspread atop of the bed is Michael D'Souza's grandmother's antique gold embroidered sari. Swoon!




I know I've said this before but as someone who can't live without a ton of color, I'm surprised that I love this house so much. It could be the the amazing antiques (It definitely is) that mostly come from his shop Mufti in London. I'd love to hop on over there to check out the goods! I was curious what Mufti meant so I looked it up. It is either a Muslim scholar or a type of civilian dress. What did you all think? I wish I could see more! HERE is his website for the store which has fabulous gifts and furniture and his interior design portfolio.


Alicia B.