Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Holiday Thoughts and Lovely Tables



All images via One Lovely Day (projects from top by mary swenson, chelsea fuss and 100 layer cake)


I know it's a cliché, I do...but it's far too easy to get caught up in the "stuff" and the obligations and the general hoopla of the holidays and forget to pause and reflect on why we as individuals celebrate the season.

Thanksgiving is traditionally the time to look back and express gratitude for the good that's happened over the course of the year, but when I do remember to pause in December...when I do remember to mellow out a bit and allow myself to let go of the stress of trying to do everything "right", I find I want to be grateful.

Amidst all the activities this month, inevitably, my favorite moments involve sitting in front of the tree, staring at the lights until they all blur together and reveling in how fortunate I am to have my family, my hubby and girlies, our home, good food, health...

I read this passage in an article in "O" magazine a couple of years ago and it really resonated with me.

"For my grandparents, the essential thing about Christmas is midnight mass, and the birth of a child who shall be called Prince of Peace. For my mother, I think it’s the solstice and the fact that the days will get longer, the light will return. For my father it’s Santa Claus, the spirit of abundance and generosity. But for me, it seems to be something at once simpler and more complicated than all these things…"

Whatever is the essential thing for you about this season, take time to revel in it.

Have a lovely, lovely holiday friends!