Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Crafty Girls (for real)

Erin's inspiration...a softie by Esthex

I’ve mentioned before that I’m not exactly naturally crafty. But while I wasn’t born with the "craft gene", I am in complete and total awe of those that were. Take for example lovely cousin Erin. The day after Audrey and I took on Martha, Erin arrived at our house for Sunday dinner armed with visions of Esthex’s sweet toys + a slew of felt, ribbon and fabric, her sewing machine (!) and a picture of a unicorn that Audrey had drawn the previous week-end when she and Erin had a dinner date.

We were going to make a softie!

Audrey with her completed softie -- Fauna Rose Clevell

Audrey re-drew the unicorn on felt and picked her favorite colors out of Erin's stack of materials, plus she helped stuff the (tiny, skinny, maddening) legs with batting using a chop stick. I have to say it turned out pretty cute (that Erin is brilliant) and was super fun to make, especially coupled with Thai take-out and a couple of glasses of wine (did I mention that stuffing those legs was maddening…)