Friday, September 26, 2008

34 Before 35

My list penned on Suann’s letterpress

A while back I extolled getting older, and inspired by the brilliant Hula Seventy decided to create a list of the 34 things I wanted to do before I turned 35 as a celebration of this sort of milestone birthday.

Shortly after, I met the incomparably cool Amy in SF and discovered that we both turn 35 in early December. So we committed to doing this list thing together and keeping each other honest about actually sticking to it. And because Amy is so much smarter and cooler than me, she came up with the idea of inviting…everyone…to join in!

To paraphrase Amy a bit, these lists are meant to be realistic and in the spirit of being good to yourself…not some sort of giant "bucket list" over the course of a life. Simple things. Small things. Meaningful things. What do you want to do before you're 25 or 43 or 55? Next month? Next year? Inspire us please!
  • Share with us by linking to doobleh-vay and simple lovely and posting your own list.
  • Leave us a comment that you’re participating too.
  • We’ll pick one each day next week to share with the world. (And perhaps a little prize at the end too?)

34 Things I Want to Do Before I'm 35
  1. Take a cooking class at Central Market
  2. Make a chocolate cake from scratch
  3. Get business cards unrelated to my actual job
  4. Buy conversational French CDs
  5. Listen to said CDs on my work commute
  6. Go on a “dressy date” with Bryan
  7. Make “no knead” bread
  8. Make Lynne’s Sugar Loom
  9. Completely clean out my closet
  10. Put anything I haven’t worn in a year on eBay (see above)
  11. Take Audrey to see the nutcracker
  12. Take a bikram yoga class
  13. Buy bikes
  14. Go on a Sunday family bike ride (see above)
  15. Go on a family picnic
  16. Take Audrey to lunch at the Neiman Marcus Mermaid Bar
  17. Take the girls to the library
  18. Go the pumpkin patch at the arboretum
  19. Make a piece of art
  20. Print photos from this year + put in an album
  21. Take girls to the Dallas Museum of Art
  22. Pretty up my office – hang wallpaper, get new desk drawer knobs
  23. Perfect a pancake mix, make a big batch
  24. Take a half day and sneak off to the movies alone
  25. Make a diorama
  26. Get personalized stationary for the girls' thank you notes
  27. Master homemade lasagna
  28. Make a Blurb book
  29. Redo my inspiration board
  30. Get fresh flowers once a week
  31. Send three friends a gift for no reason
  32. Take Millie to hear live music
  33. Roast a chicken
  34. Take the girls on a surprise overnight trip
  35. Make a plan to simplify and really enjoy the holidays…and stick to it