Monday, March 23, 2009

The Spending Hiatus Support Group -- Week Ten + Looking Forward



Some pics from Sunday at the Arboretum...Millie was obsessed with picking the flowers, which was a bit of an issue as you can imagine.

You get two spending hiatus updates in one week... Hope you don't mind!

I was 100% diligent this week up until Saturday when, while at Target (of course it’s Target) picking up a few groceries for dinner, I bought a little beach cover-up. This time of year things inevitably start getting "spendy", as our annual beach trip is just around the corner, and with the beach trip comes the burning desire for new bathing suits, sundresses, sandals, sunglasses... In fact, we leave for the beach on the final day of the spending hiatus, April 10th, and the timing is no accident -- I knew if I ended the hiatus earlier, there would be well, trouble.

I'm trying friends, I really am... but I caved for that cover-up, and I'm allowing myself to purchase one black swim suit (my current one is seven years old and looks it) and one pair of flip flops and stopping there. I'm not sure I can call those items "essential", but my strategy is to allow for a few basic things in order to avoid a total beach binge.

Now for the looking forward part…Since we've got just over two weeks before spending can commence (can you believe it?), I'm thinking a lot about "re-entry.” I have several planned tactics, like waiting 24 hours before buying something or forcing myself to donate/giveaway an item for every new purchase, but by far the most effective plan for me is just to stay. out. of. stores. If I'm not tempted, I can't succumb to temptation, right?

To that end, I'm making sure we have lots of activity options at the ready, so we don't fall back into the old pink cookie, Northpark mall routine. While at ArtScape yesterday, we went ahead and got a membership to the Arboretum, and we're planning on adding Sunday afternoon picnics on the Arboretum lawn into our repertoire along with our Nasher trips, cooking...and now sewing (more on that later!)

So how are you all doing? Are you starting to think about life post-hiatus? Any strategies to share?