Monday, March 23, 2009

Practice Makes Perfect (or something like that)


The fruits of my very first sewing project

It was a "homemade" weekend around my casa.

First up, there was the sewing class with Miss Aimee on Saturday where I made the above purse. I can’t begin to adequately describe the satisfaction that came from creating something of my very own… But it was hard. I have a touch of the OCD -- I’m wired to want to get things exactly right the first time, so sewing was rather humbling.

It was even more humbling that prior to the class I was confident, all full of vim and vigor only to be transformed into a discouraged perfectionist five minutes into the project, while Aimee, who was far more nervous about the entire enterprise than me, had a blast from start to finish. Toward the end of the project (after a major attitude adjustment), I started to have fun -- that is until I realized I’d sewn my strap on twisted. It’s a “design element” the teacher assured me. Umm... OK. I think I’m just gonna need to mellow out and go with this one.

Next up, I set out to tackle two recipes from Molly’s book on Sunday afternoon – cream braised cabbage (which knocked my husband’s socks off) and banana bread with chocolate chips and crystallized ginger, which was the equivalent of the twisted strap on the purse.

Things started out fine… I was grooving to Vampire Weekend and Audrey was sampling the batter with smacks of hearty approval, then into the oven went the bread, and I set to work preparing the cabbage. About 5 minutes later, I turned around to find the bowl of melted butter (6 tablespoons in all) intended for the banana bread still sitting on the counter. There was much swearing, and desperate to salvage the bread, I took it out of the oven, dumped it back into the mixing bowl, added the butter, gave it a good stir and started over, hoping for the best. That maneuver pretty much turned it into chocolate banana bread as all the chips were melted and now mixed into the batter, which turns out was also a “design element”... but a pretty freakin great one.

One for two's not bad, right?