Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Knowing when to quit

Well...I'm going to take a very wise woman's advice and quit while I'm ahead. Or at least know when to quit on a book. I always feel so bad. Sometimes I'm just not in the mood for a certain book but might be later. Or the book is just not what I thought or really horrible.

So here's a couple of my books that I'm just going to admit defeat and proudly walk away.

Slammerkin - Emma Donoghue

I almost finished it. I had about fifty pages left. Seriously! But every time I picked it up to read, it just left a bad taste in my mouth. And I was reading it before bed and it was honestly giving me bad dreams. And then the character...the character doesn't ever really change and I didn't really like her. So, bad Amanda, I flipped to the end...and well, in case YOU read it, I won't tell you the ending...but it wasn't worth it to me to finish. So there it is.

Oh, and in case you are interested, the book is about a prostitute in London in the 1700s. And she doesn't want to work so it's easier for her to just sell herself. Yeah. Just not a book for me. (According to Goodreads, though, some people DO like it. Just letting you know.)



The Third Angel - Alice Hoffman

Boy. I was so disappointed in this one. And to be fair, I only got about eighty pages into it. So I might try it some other time. But after reading and absolutely LOVING The River King and really liking The Ice Queen....this just didn't snag me. Actually, had I not known I would have swore it wasn't the same author.

The River King is so descriptive and detailed that after the first few pages I knew exactly where I was. The Third Angel is kind of bland. Even the story isn't too terribly great. Well...what I read of it. And I wasn't really feeling the characters. I know I know...that might change once I've read more, but right now I'm going to return it to the library.

Sigh. And I just love the cover. :(

Are there books that you've just had to close and quit? Or wish you had? Have you read either one of these and think I should give them a second chance?