Thursday, June 12, 2008

One More List





Photographs of uber chic women (that aren't in their twenties) via The Sartorialist

This week marks my half birthday, which wouldn't matter at all as I'm not a celebrator of half birthdays, except that this year is a milestone birthday for me -- 35. (I consider any birthday ending in "5" a milestone birthday.)

I love my 30's. Sure my 20's were great, but my 30's have been so, so much better. I had Audrey a few months before my 30th birthday, and for obvious reasons that completely changed my life. It's been an odd, amazing, interesting ride, and I have never wished to go back in any way.

But honestly it's not a real stretch for me...I'm pretty infatuated with age, which partly explains my obsession with the French -- a society that notoriously reveres older women. I've always loved the age I am, never wished to be younger, never dreaded or feared turning 25 or 30. In fact, on many occasions, I've wished to be older.

This longing was most frequent during my childhood when I would regularly declared my desire to be a grown-up. My parent's best friend (and my godfather) was completely perplexed by this. He would always emphatically tell me to enjoy being a kid, that it's not that fun being a grown up...too much responsibility...not enough fun. I totally didn't believe him. I knew I'd somehow more fun as an adult. And you know what, I do.

But, despite my perpetual quest to be older, I want Audrey and Millie to savor, relish and enjoy their childhoods in the ways that I didn't in. Don't we always want the opposite for our kids than our own experiences?

So, in honor of my milestone birthday, I'm totally stealing her brilliant idea and making a list of the 34 things I want to do before I turn 35 later this year. The list is still a work in progress, and most of the items are rather mundane, but it's been a fun project...I'll share in full once it's more fleshed out.

What about you? How do you feel about this whole age thing?