Monday, June 30, 2008

Dressing Your Age


I'd don any of these brilliant "kids" ensembles by phillip lim... happily.

I like it when kids dress like kids.

There's plenty of time later in life to dress with terms like "appropriate", "presentable" and "pulled-together" in mind. In another words, you have your entire life to look like a grown-up... One of the beauties of being a kid is that you can get away with, say striped tights, a floral skirt and your pajama top (or heck just your pajama top with some jeans for that matter) -- things that generally don't work as an adult, unless you are of course some kickin style maven (more than likely French as well.)

I'm also a big believer in allowing your kids as much self-expression as possible in the relatively harmless areas (such as clothes) and instead sweating the big stuff (like drugs and what not.) I do have some pretty hard and fast rules drawn up for later use around dressing slutty, tattoos and piercings, but pretty much anything else goes in the personal style department... Crazy outfits? Yes. Pink hair? Go for it.

So here's where things are getting a little complicated for me. While I don't want Audrey and Millie leave the house dressed like mini-adults, lately I'm facing the uncomfortable situation that I might be dressing like a kid. The past three summer dresses I've purchased look exactly like all my favorite "kid" dresses out there. So what's my stance on a grown-up dressing like a kid??? hmm... I'll get back to you in the fall.


p.s. -- she could have been the model for this post. those outfits...brilliant.

p.p.s -- after peeking in on my comments, I had to include a brilliant quote from Uncle Beefy... he recounts something a mother who let her daughter go wild in terms of sartorial self-expression once told him:


"If she gets to REALLY know who she is now, no one will be able to tell her who
she has to be later."

I just love that...