Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Migration Update



Southbound warblers are finally trickling through Pheasant Branch Conservancy in good numbers. Before work this morning, I found a Black-and-white Warbler, Magnolia Warbler, Blackburnian Warbler, Chestnut-sided Warbler, Tennessee Warbler and American Redstart. Things should begin to pickup just in time for the Madison Audubon field trip I’m leading on August 28th at Pheasant Branch. On my way home this evening, I stopped by a few ponds along HWY K, Fisher Road and Woodland Road and found the following shorebird species: Killdeer, Wilson’s Snipe, Baird’s Sandpiper, Semipalmated Sandpiper, Least Sandpiper, Pectoral Sandpiper, Spotted Sandpiper, Solitary Sandpiper and Lesser Yellowlegs.

Readers from the Madison area: Have you been following the sale of the Acker farm just north of the Dane County parcel of Pheasant Branch Conservancy? There may be an opportunity to have part or all of this land added to the conservancy, but I’m not going to hold my breath. Developers have also set their sights on it (Middleton’s desire) and may potentially spoil the rather scenic view looking north over the prairie. I'll keep you posted on any updates.

Black-and-white Warbler © 2008 Mike McDowell