Thursday, August 27, 2009

Audrey Week -- Birthday Party Planning

Audrey turns six next week and we're gearing up for her big birthday celebration!

I am a huge, huge birthday person. Growing up, my mother always made us feel like the most important person in the world on our birthday -- there was singing when we woke up, a special breakfast, lots of little gifts and a dinner of our choice, and sometimes a party too!

I knew I wanted to carry on this same feeling when I had my own kids, so starting with Audrey's first birthday we wanted to make everything feel extra special. (Not extravagant mind you, but special -- I'm a big believer that "special" doesn't have to be expensive or complicated...)

Each year, Audrey and I start talking about her birthday in July (what kind of party she wants to have, if she wants co-ed or just girls), then I start looking around for inspiration.*

*Let me just pause here to say that I am constantly blown away by the sheer creativity out there when it comes to throwing great birthday parties. There is no shortage of inspiration. Need proof? Check out this brilliant Frida Kahlo party or this Where The Wild Things Are one, or how about this lovely Peter Pan soiree. See...amazing, no?

Last year we went with a "girls only" woodland fairy bash, but since Audrey's at a new school and wanted a chance to reconnect with her old classmates, we opted to do a co-ed party this year. Audrey wanted an Alice in Wonderland theme, so watched the movie together to figure out what part of it we wanted to focus on for the decorations and ultimately decided on a Queen of Hearts motif...

The plan is to use the photos below as inspiration for the cupcakes + we'll have loads of red balloons, and I'm making a little "chandelier" for over the table using red and white Chinese lanterns and tissue balls, red heart garland and red heart playing cards.

I also managed to find an Alice in Wonderland bouncy house, so we're set for some sweaty, jumping fun. The party is next Saturday... I'll be sure to post lots of pics of the actual event!

images via cupcake social


I've had these photos in my inspiration folder for a while but can't find a source...if anyone recognizes where they came from let me know and I'll post asap!