Thursday, June 18, 2009

The Modern Pleat

This room in the Kips Bay Showhouse is full of uber traditional pleated details by Mario Buatta.


Usually when you think of pleats you conjure up images of fussy chintz sofas (see above and please don't hurt me Mr. Buatta), doilies, and lots and lots of passmenterie. Lately however, the idea of a pleat is modern, clean, and...trendy. I'm seeing them in upholstery as well as in the fashion world. While I've always been a fan of a cute pleated skirt, pleats are BACK in pants, too.

Massucco Warner Miller uses a pleated pillow in this cheery orange, blue and neutrals room. Modern but not cold--I like it.

Eileen Fisher has a line of dupioni silk home accents including these loosely pleated pillows.

I just know I'd have to run my fingers manically up and down this pillow. By Dransfield and Ross.

A pleated bed skirt is also another way to go! I love the way this looks here. By Marshall Watson.

This is the happiest little pleated pillow and doesn't have a super structured look but isn't fussy. From etsy shop TootieEstelle.

This pleat all the way up the arm ads a fussy/fresh detail to the chair. Henredon via Point Click Home.

Gap is pulling in outside designers (thank God) again and these pants in the window caught my eye on my power walk down to work. I know my friends would tear me down if I bought them so I'll stick to my regular khakis but these are quite fun! Alexander Wang designed for the Gap for $69.50.


I like the detailing, personally, but what do you guys think? I'm into the fresh modern take on something traditional--surprised?


Alicia B.