Thursday, February 3, 2011

Some Beauty Products...

I've been thinking about doing a post sharing some of my favorite (for lack of a better term) "beauty products" for a while...

As much as I'd like to be able to claim that I'm a low-maintenance gal that eschews make-up in favor of a bare-face, well... I can't. I like products. I always have. One of my most fond childhood memories is watching my grandmother (with whom I was extremely close) getting ready for work in the morning. Perched on her little bathroom vanity, I would study her intently as she carefully lined her eyes and powdered her nose. It was mesmerizing.

I was also endlessly intrigued by my mom's groovy homemade masks, which she would apply after holding her face over a big steaming pot of chamomile infused water on the stove, towel draped over her head. It wasn't long before she had me steaming my face too. I think I was about nine. My mom is an licensed aesthetician now and is a wealth of info about awesome skin products. She's way in the know.

In college, I worked at The Body Shop...I was in "product" heaven. And then after I graduated (mind you this was in the mid-90's when the best prospect for college grads with English degrees was working at a coffee shop), I moved to Boulder and worked as a make-up artist at the Chanel counter in the mall until I landed my first "real job".

So I have a history with make-up (and moisturizer and hair stuff and perfume)...how could I not share what I love? Also you guys have asked. I think one of my most frequently received e-mail questions is: "what are some of the products that you use?"

So I'm going to tell ya. Here goes...




Skin:

  • I wash my face with just a gentle Aveeno cleanser...nothing fancy. But, at night I use it with my Clarisonic face brush, which I am kind of in love with (not to be overly swoony). This little gadget makes my skin super-soft and glowy. It was worth every penny.

  • After I wash my face at night, I mix together a little dab of Tazorac (a super-strong, prescription retinol) with a couple of pumps of Bliss anti-aging serum. It's really lightweight (I can't use heavy moisturizers) and makes my skin glowy...I'm big on glowy. If I'm feeling especially dry, I might also use a drop or two of Dr. Hauschka Normalizing Day Oil.

  • Around my eyes, I've been using a little dab of Creme de la Mer from a sample I've been desperately clinging to forever. This stuff is amazing, but crazy pricey, and I have two kids to send to college. I'm not sure what I'm going to do once my sample is empty... I'm open to eye cream suggestions friends.

  • For body, I swear by Kiehl's Creme de Corps. It's super moisturizing (which is good since I am currently seriously lizard-like) but not greasy at all. Greasy = Bad.

Make-up:

  • My #1, all-time favorite product is Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer in Nude. I can't say enough about this stuff. When I'm about half done with my tube, I go buy another one, as I have this sort of irrational fear of it disappearing. It's not really foundation (which scares me) but more than moisturizer. And, again, makes me glowy. (I know, I know, it can't be helped.)

  • I wish I was one of those girls that could pull-off that awesome orangy-red Nars lipstick that's all over the place right now. I love that look. But sadly it doesn't work on me...at all. My look is more smoky/sooty eye. I know it's crazy, but it makes me feel a little rock & roll, which is kind of necessary for a working mom of two living in middle-America.

    To do the smoky eye, I smudge Laura Mercier powder eyeliner in Ebony Black over my lash line (top and bottom) with a brush, put a sweep of Bobbi Brown Shimmer Brick in Beige on my lids and then a coat or two of Benefit BADgal Lash mascara in black. It's a pretty fool-proof enterprise.

  • I also use a little Nars blush (this shade, which I refuse to write on my blog) and for lips pretty much just lip balm, as I reason (and I know this is cliche) that with the sooty eyes, I have to have way low-key lips. Right now I'm using Primavera Neroli Cassis lip balm that Nicole gave me, but if I'm going out, I'll use Bobbi Brown Glitter Lip Gloss in Nude.

Hair:

  • On the hair front, I'm digging Kevin Murphy Hydrate Me shampoo and conditioner for my ombre (read: trashed) ends...it's smells a little like patchouli, so there's that whole hippie-vibe thing going. I only wash my hair every other day, so I use his hair powder on my roots on day two to avoid channeling Johnny Depp.

  • And now that I have the effortless bangs, I just blow-dry my hair with a round brush and go...totally easy.


The Extras:

  • I hardly ever paint my nails, but when I do I've been using Chanel Particuliere...I use it on my toes too. I always paint my toenails.

  • I love Yuzu Rouge perfume by 06130, and I'm also a big fan of Stella by Stella McCartney.

  • And last but not least, every single day I take 2000 milligrams of Omega 3&6 fish oil, 1000 milligrams of vitamin D and a multi-vitamin. The fish oil is a miracle...it's made my skin and hair better, and I just feel better when I take it. I also drink the most disgusting concoction of all-time every morning -- 1 cup of organic cranberry juice blended with a scoop of Garden of Life Perfect Food Super Green powder. It is truly foul, but it makes me feel like a super-hero, so I'm strangely addicted.


Ok that's it...whew!

Now your turn...what products do you use, what do you love, what can't you live without??