Saturday, February 12, 2011

Crate & Barrel and West Elm are back in my good graces.

Let me define that: Crate & Barrel has never actually been in my good graces. I've always thought of Crate & Barrel as chunky dark wood furniture and primary colored fabrics (ick). They seem to be making a comeback with a softer look with great textiles and a little more style. As for West Elm I think they got caught up in the whole Parsons style everything and lost sight of...everything. Both companies are getting my attention lately--do you want to see why?

West Elm is now doing fabric by the yard. I love this print, the paisley, and a fun ikat that they're doing. Very pretty only $30 per yard.

I'm lukewarm on chalkboard paint--I think it's being over used. BUT, I love this desk lamp. You know I love color...and yellow, so this industrial task lamp is perfect for me!
This grey weathered wood is so hot right now. I approve of this Cucina Sideboard from Crate and Barrel. It has a nice wine rack in it and looks like it has actual character put into it.

I am looking to spruce up my bedding and duvet situation and this is pretty, yellow, and light feeling. Definitely on my list! From West Elm: Bazaar Duvet Cover.
A client of mine almost bought this chair: the Carly. I appreciate the grey wood and not dark wood used in this chair and the feminine fabric. Put a bird on it?

I don't know if I would use this in my apartment myself but I think the open but geometric feeling to it is wonderful. It doesn't have to be chunky to be geometric. This is the Display Coffee Table from West Elm.

As a traditionalist at heart, I love this Windsor Chair. It's a fun modern twist on a classic style chair. I wonder how comfortable this is. Good work West Elm!

Not that this is a competition (even though everything is...), I think West Elm is coming out on top. They're brought a ton of character to their line while Crate and Barrel is bringing in a little bit of a soft feminine flair although I think they need to commit to it much more. What do you all think?

Alicia B.