Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Some Thoughts on A Few Girls...

image via the sartorialist

First up this girl -- who really is more of a "lady" than a "girl" I suppose... Semantics aside, she's here because she just looks so darn rockin.

She is my sartorial alter ego.

I am not her when I get dressed in the morning, but I wish I were.

p.s. this image is from the 1970's and yet completely of the moment, no? Amazing how that fantastically confident, mildly unattainable stylish boho look is completely timeless...


Next up, this girl. Who most definitely, without a doubt, is a "Girl", capital "G." She's also my girl, and I'm having a bit of a love fest with her.

In a nutshell, Audrey is rocking my world right now. She's funny and witty and interesting and well...cool. I love hanging out with her, which is an awfully good thing since she and I are about to embark on a couple of whirlwind adventures (we're headed to California tomorrow to visit my sister and new baby Josie for a few days, and then we go on a quick overnight trip to NYC on Monday morning.)

I couldn't dream of a better travel partner than this kid.


And last but not least, this woman (not a bit of "girl" about her), Michele Oka Doner, who happens to be a insanely inspiring artist. But that's not why she's here.

No, she's here because she said this:

"Evolved women have begun to form a collective awareness of how to support one another. It goes way beyond 'what dress am I wearing tonight?' I really like women. I've learned how to negotiate a world filled with intelligent and attractive women, giving everyone their due."

Which I first spotted via Karey (who is a pretty amazing woman in her own right.)

I read and re-read this quote every few weeks...it's completely fantastic and also necessary, as I don't think the world does a very good job of teaching us women how to truly appreciate and support each other. I think society underestimates us a bit, perhaps even pits us against each other a smidge.

I have two sisters and two daughters...I'm all about girls. We owe it to each other to pick up where society leaves off and to rally and support and encourage each other. Fiercely.

Don't you think?