Wednesday, June 23, 2010

An Outfit (Deconstructed) ... + Some Packing




I am heavy in “outfit creation” mode for our two trips. (There’s nothing like planning for a trip to put you in sartorial overdrive, no?)

I completely geek out when it comes to packing. I lay out all of my outfits for each day of the trip + all the coordinating accessories before anything ever makes it into the suitcase. And, if it's an extra special trip (like our upcoming NYC adventure), I might even try on the outfits in advance. I know, I know...

So this week's outfit is the result of my OCD packing tendencies*. I scoured my closet for my most favorite pieces and am planning to wear this to dinner Monday night in the city.

The Details:


* I could probably do a completely separate post on packing, as I put so much thought into the process...

Here's the lowdown -- I try to never, ever check bags, as too much can go wrong with that whole scene, so I'm pretty ruthless about what I bring, including only what I think I'll actually wear (thus the outfit planning) and nothing else. I also keep a little travel toiletry kit at the ready with carry-on size versions of my shampoo, cleanser, etc... And (this is the really nutty part), I keep lists of what I've packed on previous trips to make future packing easier. I told you...I have packing issues.

The photo above is our packed suitcase for NYC. (Audrey and I get home from California on Sunday evening and then leave for New York at 5:00 am the next morning, so I had to pack that suitcase in advance, which is a situation I've never quite encountered before...) Since we're going to be there for less than 24 hours (!), I'm allowing us only two outfits each. That's it...nothing else. (I figure heck, we're going to be in New York City, we can buy something if we have to, right?)

Wish us luck!