Monday, December 22, 2008

A Recipe for You And One for Me (Please)...

image via food and wine

I realize we haven’t even hit Christmas eve yet, but I’m in menu planning overdrive…I think it would be fun to do a family fondue party on New Year’s eve, but having never made it before and suspecting that it can easily turn into a sad greasy mess, I’m a smidge intimidated.

Anyone have good (relatively idiot proof) fondue recipes to share?? (one for cheese and one for chocolate, which I suspect is far easier than cheese, no?)

And now for you…the hearts of palm salad. My foodie friend Julie passed this recipe on and I make it All. The. Time. It’s really awesome.
  • 2 heads of butter lettuce
  • ¼ cup chopped parsley
  • 1 cup of walnuts tossed in butter and brown sugar, lightly toasted and sprinkled with salt
  • 1 jar of hearts of palm, sliced
  • ½ lb of blue cheese or sweet gorgonzola

Vinaigrette dressing:

  • 1 cup walnut oil
  • ½ cup chardonnay vinegar
  • 1 tsp. sugar (or more, to taste)
  • 1 shallot finely minced
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Mix all of the dressing ingredients together (sometimes I mix in the blender to emulsify a bit) and toss the lettuce with it first then layer the other ingredients on top.