Saturday, April 26, 2008

Nasty Weather



Turbulent weather moved across southern Wisconsin last evening, including a tornado near Portage. Nobody was injured, but a few houses were significantly damaged in the Wyocena area. I was on my way home after birding with Dottie when I captured the above shot looking southwest from near Waunakee. The wind was incredible and I was beginning to think I might observe a funnel cloud, but the more severe weather that produced the tornado was about 30 miles to the north. There's been significant rainfall in the past few days and the stream crossings at Pheasant Branch are flooded once again, rendering parts of the conservancy inaccessible. The flooding is so bad in the southeast part of the state that Saturday's Madison Audubon field trip to Wyalusing State Park was canceled. The lows will be in the 30's the next few days and I've come down with a spring cold. Perhaps I'll spend the weekend indoors and wait for more seasonable weather to return.

Storm image © 2008 Mike McDowell