Sunday, April 23, 2006

Wood, Green and Palm...

Wood Ducks

(click on image for larger version)

This Wood Duck pair at Pheasant Branch Conservancy sort of looked like they were expecting something or someone...maybe me! Well, of course that’s not true, but they remained "posed" this way until the trails became busier with people, bikers, dogs, etc. Eventually, the female went back inside the nest box while the male took off down the stream corridor a short distance.

Green Heron

(click on image for larger version)

None of the people jogging by took notice of them or of this Green Heron hunting along the fallen trees in the duckweed pond. Sadder still, many of them were wearing iPods, shutting themselves off from the songs of warblers, sparrows, cardinals, robins, finches, jays and phoebes. A few of them panting so heavily it seemed like they were about to collapse and die right there on the trail. Makes me wonder...what do they really notice, and why are they exercising so strenuously? Oh, I guess I shouldn't be so hard on them...it is a wonderful place for a walk or jog.

Bloodroot

(click on image for larger version)

Earlier in the morning I found a somewhat ruffled Palm Warbler with worn feathers – probably a new arrival from last night. A couple times the warbler got so close to where I was sitting that I couldn’t even focus on it with my scope and camera. Even Ruby-crowned Kinglets foraged alongside of me within a mere foot or two. When they’re so close you get a truer perception of just how tiny they actually are.

Palm Warbler

(click on image for larger version)

All images © 2006 Mike McDowell