Sunday, April 2, 2006

April Showers...



It’s been raining here most of the day but radar indicates it should soon be breaking off. I’ve stayed inside so far but I may go somewhere for a look-around...perhaps Baxter’s Hollow. I haven’t minded being cooped up because we have one of the neatest birds in our backyard right now...FOX SPARROWS!

I’ve already seen a few of them at Pheasant Branch and Lake Farm Park. Last year the “hop-scratchers” showed up in our yard March 30th, and March 29th in 2004. It's great to have them back, if only for a few days.





I went outside to take the droplet photo – the patter of the rain on my poncho, amidst dozens of chattering juncos, punctuated by melodious Fox Sparrow song. Spring sights, sounds and smells are simply marvelous.

Evening update:.

The rain only let up a little, so I ended up staying home all day. Still, there was plenty to watch in our backyard:

Mourning Dove
Downy Woodpecker
Hairy Woodpecker
Blue Jay
American Crow
Black-capped Chickadee
Red-breasted Nuthatch
White-breasted Nuthatch
American Robin
Cedar Waxwing
Fox Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco
Northern Cardinal
Common Grackle
House Finch
American Goldfinch
House Sparrow

All images © 2006 Michael McDowell