Wednesday, April 5, 2006

New Camera Blues

Complain, complain, complain...

I feel like I'm struggling when digiscoping with the Nikon Coolpix 8400. Though recommended by several digiscopers I know, I have two issues I need to work through. The AUTO setting for White Balance seems to tinge images greenish-yellow and I can't seem to find a setting that renders the correct tone temperature. I'm also having trouble nailing the focus consistently when utilizing the focusing method I employed on my Coolpix 995.

Here are some results with the Coolpix 8400 from the past two days:









I know what you're thinking... anyone ought to be happy with these, and I realize they're not horrible shots. But my standards are super high and falling short even by a few percentage points is going to leave me feeling as though my best digiscoping days are behind me. If that's the case, I may ditch digiscoping if a better camera doesn't come along pretty soon. My Coolpix 995 still works for the most part, but still has a quirky power problem...maybe it's worth sending back to Nikon for repair afterall.

When setting White Balance to AUTO on the Coolpix 995 or 4500, each camera consistently rendered correct color tones...not so on the Coolpix 8400. I've given up on the WB AUTO setting and have presently settled with DAYLIGHT with an offset of +2. Even the above pictures had to be adjusted because they were a bit warm. I will say the color saturation is pretty darn good on the Coolpix 8400, so perhaps slight desaturation would help.

I guess I haven't given up yet. I'd like to think these difficulties can be overcome and I keep telling myself that change is good. On one hand, I don't want to miss photographic opportunities this spring migration and that makes me want to revert back to the tried and true Coolpix 995. But then again...the best way to master something is to keep on plugging away at it. I have a few more ideas to try before ditching the Coolpix 8400.

All images © 2006 Michael Allen McDowell