Wednesday, July 29, 2009

A Fashion Confession (+ A Reminder)

all images of Vogue fashion/news director Sally Singer's apartment via The Selby

I’m not afraid to admit it (my uniform notwithstanding), I sort of love fashion.

I love the idea that you can create a sort of "character" through your clothes, and I'm endlessly intrigued by what other women chose to wear -- my daily indulgence is peeking in on the street style over on Urban Weeds, the Sartorialist and Garance Dore.

The only magazine I read religiously every month, cover-to-cover is Vogue. (Because it’s a fashion magazine, it often gets pigeonholed as “frivolous”, but the book and movie reviews are excellent, the political, art and food coverage is incredibly strong, and the fashion coverage is well, really intelligent and interesting…which, let’s face it, isn’t usually the case with fashion magazines.)



A few weeks ago, my friend Lucia and I were chatting over breakfast about our respect for women like Judy Aldridge and marveling at her ability to make daring, interesting (and sometimes outrageous) fashion choices and not seem like a fashion victim, but instead like the ultimate "fashion as art" patron...

And (feel free to disagree with me here) I think most people care about fashion more than they're willing to admit...or at least "fashion" in the sense that what they wear represents some aspect of who they are as a person. It's why my husband chooses to wear Converse instead of Nikes or why the girl that knocked on our door last night with the Texas Campaign for the Environment was sporting dreads and Birkenstocks.

So... what do you think your "look" says about you?



p.s. speaking of fashion...the (killer) scarf giveaway ends at noon tomorrow, so be sure to leave a comment for a chance to own it if you haven't already!