Wednesday, April 22, 2009

My One Thing

not paper towels, but un-necessary paper products nonetheless (photo via roland bello)

I've made some pretty big strides in my effort to tread more lightly on the earth... I can't remember the last time I accepted a bag at the store (despite the checkers that look at me like I'm a mad woman as I'm stuffing 10 cans of soup into my purse -- I have a really big purse), and the spending hiatus completely changed my thinking in terms of mindful spending, disposable purchases and unnecessary packaging -- During the three months we weren't buying non-essentials, our garbage output decreased dramatically, a side-effect that was welcome, but honestly unexpected.

But in honor of Earth Day, I thought I'd bite the bullet and make a big commitment... one that's really hard, one that I've been avoiding. Ok here goes, this morning I used my last paper towel ever... That's the plan at least. And while it sounds small, if you knew how messy my girlies are, how obsessed I am with wiping down every surface in my line of sight, and how giddy I get over a fresh, new, bright white roll of paper towels ready to be busted into, then you'd surely realize that for me this step is HUGE.

So...let's all play. Suffer with me please. What's your one thing in honor of Earth Day?