Thursday, May 29, 2008

Books and more books

I love summer time because for some reason the daylight makes my mind more active. That and since I'm taking the summer off from classes I want to cram in as many fun books as I can. So here's the books I'm reading:

Right now my riding-the-subway book is Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale. It's sort of an Orwell's 1984-ish type of book. My old riding-the-subway book was Graham Swift's book The Light of Day. It's a private detective mystery type story which is ok but wasn't really grabbing my attention. Thus the switch. I'll come back to it though.

My sometimes-I-read-before-going-to-bed book is Zora Neale Hurston's novel Their Eyes Were Watching God. It's a thin book but slow reading because it's one of those books where the accent is written into it so it's a bit of deciphering to figure out what they are saying.

My book I read at work since it's free online (Google books full-view) is Wilkie Collins' classic spooky book The Woman in White. It's great so far! A mysterious lady in white, two star-crossed lovers, and wonderful narration.

And I'm still only half finished with Anna Karenina by Tolstoy and need to finish that sometime.

Oh and my book club book just came in at the library which is Dava Sobel's Galileo's Daughter. I'm going to pick that up tomorrow and start reading it this weekend.

Oh...and I'm only half-way finished with Michael Chabon's The Yiddish Policeman's Union. I stopped reading it when I went to Las Vegas for a vacation because, while a good book, it's not really a summer-time read. So I will come back to that one too.

My husband thinks I'll never finish all these books. What do you think?