Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Black-throated Blue Warbler



Yesterday before work I checked Pheasant Branch Conservancy for more fall migrants. I wasn't surprised at all to find a couple of my birding friends, Aaron Stutz and Steve Theissen with the same plan. Aaron and I got really nice close-up looks at a still brilliantly plumaged CANADA WARBLER.

After Aaron left for work, Steve found a female BLACK-THROATED BLUE WARBLER (one of my favorite birds) that we admired. Not as many individual birds as there were on Saturday, but birding reports from the north indicate that much more is yet to come through.

I've only managed to obtain one photograph of a male Black-throated Blue Warbler, but it makes a better quiz photo than pretty portraiture! So, here's a nice shot of a male at a nest from USF&WS.

Black-throated Blue Warblers nest in Wisconsin, but only in the northernmost part. Here's a map from the Wisconsin Bird Breeding Atlas indicating their nesting activity.

Link: All about the Black-throated Blue Warbler from Cornell Labs

Black-throated Blue Warbler image courtesy of US Fish & Wildlife Service