Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Wishful Thinking

Image via Cookie

I’m a big advocate of just giving your kids a smaller portion of what you’re already having for dinner, as I firmly believe that all food has the potential to be “kid food." Don’t get me wrong, I’m personally a big fan of Annie’s mac-and-cheese and chicken strips; I just avoid serving them together whenever possible in a meek effort to skirt becoming a cliché.

For me, an ideal dinner would be something like this super-easy baked potato with a perfect poached egg on top spotted in Cookie. But I can say in no uncertain terms that Audrey (or Bryan for that matter) would most definitely not eat a baked potato topped with a poached egg (no matter how seemingly perfect), so I will make this for myself and let them dress their potato however they wish – most likely it’ll be with lots of cheese and butter…

You can just bet it won’t be topped with a poached egg.