Friday, September 28, 2007

Early Fall Nature Photography


(click for larger image)

What a beautiful day! I had a little time to some nature photography this morning before work. I confess I haven't been doing all that much digiscoping lately. Sometimes it's simply more fun to observe birds (nature, too) and not worry about lugging the spotting scope and tripod around. In case you were wondering, most of the bird images appearing in my blog in the past few months are recycled from past seasons.


Outdoor Studio for Digiscoping

Since my Nikon Coopix 995 is starting to drop a few pixels, I decided to switch to the Coolpix 8400. I set up at one of my "outdoor studios" about 15 minutes before sunrise and birds were already zipping around in the dense habitat. This is a spot I often return to - it's been so productive, especially during the fall...many images in my digiscoping gallery were taken right here.

I saw (and heard) Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, Common Yellowthroats, White-throated, Lincoln's and Song Sparrows, Ruby-crowned Kinglets, Eastern Bluebirds, even a Wilson's Warbler. I don't chase them down in order to get a photograph – I line up on a particular zone and wait. After several minutes, the birds begin to adjust to my presence and go about their business. In the limited time I had, the only bird to pop up on one of the pre-selected perches was this Song Sparrow:


(click for larger image)

I'm still reluctant to retire the 995, but I suspect it's time to move from one discontinued digital camera to another one. I think I could get comfortable with the 8400 and make it my primary digiscoping camera.


Painted Lady (click for larger version)

All images © 2007 Mike McDowell