Saturday, June 9, 2007

Clay-colored Sparrow



I set out this morning just after 6:00 a.m. for an under-birded location not far from home where I knew I would find Clay-colored Sparrows in good light. I succeeded in my mission, but I was particularly surprised hearing a Yellow-breasted Chat break into its diagnostic and haunting song. I could hardly believe it. This was only the second time in Wisconsin I've ever observed this species outside of Brooklyn Wildlife Area - a well known and birded spot for viewing chats. The bird eventually came out in the open and I shared a view of it through my scope with another birder. In a way I felt vindicated that she was there with me this morning. Several years ago I found chats near Westport, but I don't think very many people believed my report because I was new to the Wisconsin Birding Network scene. But this one isn't going to be reported to the listserv. Not by me, anyway. It's such a rare occurrence and it's probably nesting and I want to keep the listserv hordes away from it. The chat was a fair distance from the trail, but I was still able to get a docu-photograph of it.

Canada Goose
Wood Duck
Mallard
Ring-necked Pheasant
Great Blue Heron
Turkey Vulture
Red-tailed Hawk
Sandhill Crane
Killdeer
Rock Pigeon
Mourning Dove
Chimney Swift
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Hairy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Eastern Wood-Pewee
Alder Flycatcher
Willow Flycatcher
Great Crested Flycatcher
Eastern Kingbird
Blue Jay
American Crow
Tree Swallow
Northern Rough-winged Swallow
Barn Swallow
Black-capped Chickadee
White-breasted Nuthatch
House Wren
Sedge Wren
Eastern Bluebird
American Robin
Gray Catbird
Brown Thrasher
European Starling
Cedar Waxwing
Yellow Warbler
Common Yellowthroat
Yellow-breasted Chat
Scarlet Tanager
Clay-colored Sparrow
Field Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Swamp Sparrow
Northern Cardinal
Rose-breasted Grosbeak
Indigo Bunting
Red-winged Blackbird
Eastern Meadowlark
Orchard Oriole
Baltimore Oriole
House Finch
American Goldfinch


Clay-colored Sparrow image © 2007 Mike McDowell